¡Ay de mí!
The past few days have just been a blur! We spent a few more days touring around
Santiago, and arrived last night to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso. First, let me try to update you on the rest
of our adventures around Santiago!
On Saturday, we visited Viña Cousiño Macul
(a local vineyard) to take a tour and do a wine tasting. Now, as my family knows, I cannot stand the
taste of wine, so this proved to be an interesting activity for me! I’m always game to try new things, but I
couldn’t do more than a few tiny sips of the red and white wines, even though I
know they are some of the best wines in the country… ¡que lástima!
We also visited another giant hill in the
city, this one called Cerro Santa Lucia, the place where Santiago was
founded. Once again, beautiful views of
the city, and some beautiful architecture on the hill, too!
Other highlights of our time in Santiago:
La Chascona (Pablo Neruda’s house, built for his mistress, who later became his
wife), Barrio Bellavista (an artsy neighborhood), Los Dominicos (artesian
shops), and other museums, cathedrals, and important government buildings (like
the Palacio Presidencial). Needless to
say, our time in Santiago was a blur!
And then, the really crazy stuff – moving to
Viña! After our busy time in Santiago,
we arrived in Viña and Valpo last night and met our host families. I honestly don’t know if I have ever been so
nervous in my life! Mi familia chilena
is incredibly kind and sweet, and I am extremely thankful to be living with
another student through our program! In
our house, there are the two parents and one of their daughters, who teaches in
a local elementary school. Their other
three children (all married) and their grandkids (nine!) live in the same neighborhood
as us. While I haven’t met our extended
family yet, I cannot wait to play with the grandchildren!
To say life in Chile is different than life
in the States would be the understatement of a lifetime. I am loving it here, but it is really
difficult. My brain is working overtime
trying to think and listen and speak and read and write in Spanish, and while also trying
to understand the cultural differences to try to begin to blend in. I love having conversations, and while I
think my roommate and I are doing a great job communicating thus far with our
familia, there are SO many long (awkward!) pauses in conversation because I
just don’t know what else to say with my limited vocabulary.
The title of this post (“No entiendo mucho,
pero no te preocupes”// I don’t understand much, but don’t worry) is becoming
the tagline of my life in Chile! I might
only understand half of a conversation, but I’m learning more every day, and
can’t wait to be able to understand more and more!
Es todo para hoy, but I will continue to
write about some of my other experiences (and adventures!) in Chile. ¡Chao!
Elise sounds like you are having a blast. Enjoy your trip. Uncle Harry
ReplyDelete