Bueno, I've been in Santiago for less than 36 hours, and it has been crazy.
Things I am learning:
• Chileans speak SO differently than any other Spanish I've heard. They speak softly, but so quickly, slurring words and dropping consonants and syllables right and left. Let's just call it an extra challenge for non-native Spanish speakers.
• Stray dogs are everywhere around Santiago. Just wandering. And sleeping.
• Central heating does not really exist in Chile. And it's winter here (temps from mid-30s at night, to 60s during the day). Everywhere you go, people are bundled up, and most places (stores, restaurants, etc.) keep their doors open, and people just stay bundled up while eating.
• If you want to order water at a restaurant (or anywhere), you have to ask for "agua sin" or "agua sin gas" (said super fast). That's because typical bottled water is carbonated here. Who knew.
• Everyone stares. So far, a lot of what we have been doing is in a group of about 15 students since we are visiting museums and monuments, but people just stare at our group as we walk by. Clearly we're tourists, but I can't say I've ever stared at groups of tourists in the States.
• Bathrooms. You have to pay to use them about half the time (it's less than a buck, so not bad, but still strange). And you're not supposed to flush the toilet paper.
• And las montañas. Santiago is located in a valley, so the Andes surround the city. Since it's winter here, they are snow-capped and BEAUTIFUL. I plan to get myself on some hiking or skiing (yes, I know those are very different, but I want to do both!) trip while I am here. Seriously, the mountains are gorgeous.
Santiago! This is the view from Cerro San Cristóbal, a hill in the middle of the city. Santiago is home to 6 million Chileans, which is 1/3 of the country's population. This picture shows less than a fourth of the city.
I really am in Chile! And I'm a bit blinded by the sun. Some things never change.
(Please note the palm tree in the background- the combo of the sun and palm trees keeps making me think it's warm, but alas, it really is winter here. So deceiving.)
Also, note the smog. It rained earlier in the day, which actually improved the view, but there is still a bunch of smog over the city.
El Mercado Central. Cool market, but I wasn't exactly a fan of this part...
No comments:
Post a Comment