I am a teacher. I am
now regularly referred to as “Ms. S” or “Señorita”, or some other nickname
depending on how creative (or frustrated) my students are. My first two thoughts about my first week of
school are: This is really hard. And I love it.
Let me set the record straight. Teaching is REALLY hard. Overnight, I became responsible for 136 young
men. For 8 hours a day, my job is to
keep 136 people awake, safe, engaged, learning, active, excited, and
participating. My job is to hold my
ground each and every day and maintain high expectations as students would
prefer to talk over me or throw a paper ball at me. I have been told a hundred times how hard
this would be, but goodness gracious, it really is incredibly tiring.
Secondly, despite how much my feet hurt when I come home,
how little sleep I get (and I’m only a week in!), and how crazy I think I am, I
still love it. I cannot imagine myself doing
anything else in the world other than teaching.
This might be the hardest thing I have ever taken on, but I don’t regret
it now, and I don’t think I ever will.
Some kids know exactly what they want to do “when they grow up”. It may have taken me a little longer to make
that decision, but I am confident that I was made to be a teacher. I was made to teach 136 students the joy of
learning another language. I was made to
see 136 faces every day, some more eager than others, some more hurt than
others. I was made to have my heart broken
by 136 stories of life in this big city.
This year is certainly going to be an adventure. And as tired as I am after week one, I am
incredibly excited to see what this year will have in store for me.
Lastly, if you are interested in more about what I (and
thousands of other teachers) do, take a look at this video. Please excuse the language, but I think it puts things into perspective rather nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU.
"I was made to have my heart broken by 136 stories of life in this big city." so so beautiful! I am so glad I am reading this!
ReplyDelete