One of the things I have noticed about Chile, but have yet
to write about, is all of the honking.
Now that I’ve been here for a few weeks, I am getting accustomed to it, even
if it is still annoying. For Chileans,
there seem to be three reasons worthy of honking your horn:
Reason #1: To alert other drivers or pedestrians, to show frustration
with traffic, etc. Basically the same as
in the States. If someone is annoying
you or is in your way, you honk. Pretty
basic.
Reason #2: To alert pedestrians of your presence. This is used by micro (crazy buses) and colectivo
(shared taxi) drivers. As the micro or colectivo is coming up to a group of people or a “stop” (used loosely-
there aren’t really official stops for the buses), they honk their horn to get
people’s attention, with hopes that the pedestrian will decide to get on and
pay. I’m not sure about the colectivos, but I know that the micros operate on commission, so the
more riders a driver has, the more money he makes. However, this also means that micro/colectivo drivers honk all the
time, even if I am just walking home from the Metro station. I guess they are hoping I’ll change my mind
and stop walking? I’m not really sure.
Reason #3: Cat calls.
Chilean men are very “machismo”, and cat calls are a common occurrence here. And the fact that I am obviously a gringa doesn’t help my case. These aren’t aggressive or offensive, but
they are a part of the culture that I am definitely not used to. I often
confuse this reason for honking with the others but yesterday on my run, the
man with his body half out the truck, waving, cleared things up for me.
So, enough about cultural differences and honking. Here’s what I’ve done for the past two days…
Yesterday, we went to two different places, Pomaire and Isla
Negra. Pomaire is a small, artesian town
known for its cheap, handmade pottery.
The part of the town we were in was basically a giant flea market, with
some really cool, hand painted pottery.
I was pretty bummed that I live in the States and that everything I buy
has to fit in a suitcase. That stuff was
really pretty! A large vase (something
that would come up to my knees) was about $4.
Crazy.
Isla Negra is another one of Pablo Neruda’s houses, located
on the shore. Before this trip, I didn’t
really know much about Pablo Neruda, but I have been learning so much about
him. And he was a bit of an eccentric
man. I have now visited all three of his
houses in Chile: La Chascona (in Santiago), La Sebastiana (in Valparaíso) and
Isla Negra (in Isla Negra). And Isla
Negra is definitely my favorite. It sits
on a hill that leads down to the ocean, and it has some gorgeous views of the
sea.
And today, we had many more adventures. This morning, we rode horses on one of the
beaches in the north. And ate lunch at a
small town right on the water, known for its seafood. And walked along a beautiful, quiet beach,
where I proceeded to get my pants wet from the water (the Pacific is ICE
cold. But worth getting a bit wet for). And went sand boarding down the dunes. So fun!
Out of the activities of today, sand boarding was by far my
favorite. For $1 I rented a board and
got to sled down the dunes. I ended up
with sand everywhere, but it was a blast, and a great way to end the weekend. Summer sledding? I’m cool with that.
This coming week (and into next week) is going to be crazy
busy for me! I start working at my
internship placement this week, and am traveling this coming weekend. Unfortunately that means no more blog posts
for a little while, but I’ll be sure to update you with pictures of these
upcoming adventures!
¡Chao!
Sounds like you're having a blast. Riding a horse on the beach would be right up there for me but yeah, summer sledding sounds pretty cool too. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteLove, UR